Shipping valuables can often be a nerve-racking process. You find yourself worrying that your parcel may have got lost in transit, stolen or it’s taking a suspiciously long time to arrive. But there is another way, it is important that you can book a delivery without stress. Keep reading to learn how sending jewellery by courier is the best way to ship jewellery.
Best Way to Ship Jewellery Insured
- Invest in good quality shipping materials
- Take time to make sure your jewellery is well packaged and makes no sound when shaken
- Make sure neither your box or shipping documents make any reference to the contents of your parcel
- Always book a tracked and signed for delivery
- Securely attach your shipping label
- Make sure your recipient is home when the delivery is scheduled to be made
When it comes to mailing jewellery, you want to make sure that that nothing is left to chance. Couriers are the best option to secure a fast and reliable delivery, but you will often be left with a large bill. This is where parcel brokers really stand out, brokers like ParcelHero offer you the chance to send your valuables with a reputable courier, but at a fraction of the price.
When you choose your courier service make sure that they offer shipping insurance, door-to-door tracking and a customer service team that can help you should you need. (hyperlink)
What Packaging Material Do You Need to Mail Jewellery?
How to Pack Your Jewellery
- Find 2 boxes, one larger, sturdy box and one smaller box that comfortably fits inside the other. Never use envelopes or jiffy bags and use a new box if possible.
- Fill the smaller box with plenty of packaging material, place your jewellery on top of this material and place more on top. Close the lid and give the box a good shake, if you can hear movement then you need to add more packaging material until the box makes no sound when shaken.
- Now add packaging material to the bottom of your larger box. Add the smaller box and follow the same procedure as above. Give it a shake and add more packaging material until it is silent when you give it a shake.
- Write your tracking code on the box and make sure there is are no visible references to its contents
- When sealing your boxes, use reinforced gummed tape. This helps to prevent any attempts to get into your parcel.
- Buy insurance for your parcel. ParcelHero give you £50 free insurance with every order but you can increase your parcel’s coverage if its contents are worth more.
- Secure your waybill securely to the outside of the box
- If you are shipping a few different pieces of jewellery, consider sending them in separate parcels. If your shipment is valuable, you do not want to run the risk of losing it all.
- Arrange a delivery date well ahead of time with your recipient. This will ensure that they will be ready to sign for the delivery and you won’t have to go through the ordeal of rearranging and rebooking the delivery.
- Take pictures of the packaged jewellery, the packaging of the box and the main box itself. This will prove you have taken every measure to keep your shipment safe should you need to claim on insurance. Ask your recipient to take the same pictures when the parcel arrives also.
- Do not use a drop collection or drop delivery service, only use a collection and delivery service.
- Schedule deliveries so they do not sit in a depot during weekend or bank holidays. Generally aim to have your parcel to arrive on a Wednesday.
- When your collecting courier arrives to pick up your parcel, ask him to sign your shipper’s confirmation document. This is proof that the parcel has been collected and will be used in the event of an insurance claim.
Shipping jewellery requires that you take special measures to ensure that your goods arrive to their destination with no problems. Use our ParcelHero Top Tips to help you ship with confidence.
If you need any advice or assistance with shipping jewellery, then do not hesitate to contact ParcelHero. Either reach out to us on Twitter, or chat to one of our friendly customer service advisors.