As Uber expands beyond the taxi industry to bring its popular App to the delivery market, ParcelHero, who specialise in large and heavy delivery, issues a timely industry report looking at the reasons behind Uber’s move, and its likely impact on local express courier businesses.
The highlights of our in-depth report are:
- Uber’s mould-breaking taxi crowd share App works equally well in the delivery industry; transforming customers’ experience.
- Uber is the most funded start-up in the world, valued at $50bn and aiming for $60-70bn in its latest funding round; but Uber runs at a loss and the entire global taxi industry is only worth $22bn. In contrast, the domestic global courier sector generates around $246 billion. Uber will earn $24.6 billion annually by capturing 10% of the global market.
- Uber sees the UK’s £7.1bn courier market as a particularly ripe market for logistics. Uber’s UK General Manager says: ‘We’ve already started going in that direction’.
- UberRUSH has already launched successfully in New York, San Francisco and Chicago in partnership with local retailers, leading stores and fashion brands.
- Uber has the scale to enable retailers to ‘get local’. The technology could also offer customers the possibility to set the price they wish to pay, and share deliveries.
- There is the potential for a significant tie-in (and possible merger) with an online giant such as Amazon, Google and Microsoft.
Read the full report below and discover how the world’s most well-funded startup is set to transform UK courier deliveries.